I love reading and learning about approaches to designing typefaces. Read The Evolution of a Typeface: Coquette by Mark Simonson.
In March 2001, I decided to start fresh and try a different approach. By this time, I knew exactly how I wanted it to look. I started sketching the boldest weight on velum in pencil. Part of my strategy was to make the drawings fairly small—about a half inch tall, close to a size they might be used. I’d found that working too big can lead to letter designs that don’t work as well when they are set smaller. I also didn’t attempt to make the drawings super precise. The idea was to get the general idea down, with the right look and proportions. They were more like notes to myself than working drawings.